Monday 4 February 2013

♥하루 103 - Pineapple tarts 凤梨酥


Hi! How's lifeee? Still very very very excited, chinese new year's in 6 days (144 hours, 8640 minutes, 518400 seconds, 518400000 milliseconds, "SHUT UP GRACE") Ok anyway, that is also equivalent to the waiting period for amazing food, merry atmosphere and fat (not very) ang pau's and more amazing food. But ofcourse, most importantly is everybody would be going back to their respective hometowns, having a great time re-bonding with relatives & their fat dogs. (In my case hahah!) Or do whatever fun things they plan to do, enjoying life to the maxヽ(*⌒∇⌒*)ノ


When I ask people, "hey, what's your most favourite part of chinese new year?" Usually, besides "ANGPAU LA ABOR!!!??" it would be "omggahhh those red-lid-plastic-transparent-containers of yummy goodies that only comes once a year!" and we'll have a very hot discussion over chinese new year food (which, believe me, is one of my favourite topics). Heehee. Anyway, who doesn't get spasms of excitement when they see buckets & buckets of goodies on the coffee table when they visit somebody's house? And we'd be all paiseh paiseh but sneaking a few noms nonchalantly while the adults are busy talking? ㅎㅅㅎ I know, it happens. 


I happen to have a very strong influence over this particular chinese new year noms cause of my siblings. Whenever we go "pai nian" (which means going house to house of friends and relatives to greet the new year with wishes and gifts), they would be looking for this thing called "feng li shu" 凤梨酥 (pineapple tarts) and since young I'm always quite fascinated by this yummy crumbly cookie with its fibrous pineapple jam texture. Here's a google image for an idea Gah click here to view I CANNOT BEAR THE PHOTOS IT'S MAKING ME SO HUNGRY T_T 


Ok the point is I made pineapple tarts. Because everybody loves pineapple tarts. \☺/
Recipe referenceFood4tots (one of my favourite recipe blog! "recipes for toddlers")

Alot of people discourage me to make the pineapple jam myself! /pulls the long face/ ☹ Well except for my family but the others was like "it's alot (drags word) of trouble, my advice is you buy ready made jam!" anyway I was so touched when I asked momoke"what happens if my jam failed? :(" and she was like, "It's okay, I can have more variety of bread spread yay" p/s my mom loves bread and she can put anything (yes, anything at all!) on her bread and that includes prune extracts etc etc ew p/p/s momoke loves pineapples. Aaah, I'm quite motivated her sentence cause I've wasted so much of momoke's resources, time and energy, fetching me around buying pineapples T_T T_T T_T


SO I'M VERY DETERMINED TO MAKE THE BEST not fail the PINEAPPLE JAM IN THE WORLD.
(also, my pineapple tart would lose its originality as "grace koh's pineapple tarts" instead of "grace koh's crust with store-bought pineapple jam" it makes things more simple isn't it?!) I turn into a perfectionist when it comes to things like these.        


After four hours of hardcore grating, hardcore squeezing and hardcore stove-guarding not to mention hardcore bicep-forming (cooking and stirring the thick jam), THE JAM IS REAAAAADY! And it smells so gooooood! I'm serious, even momoke said so /flipshair/ Also, the advantage of making your own jam is that the sweet or sour level is fully under your control and most importantly, it's FRESH. ヾ(゚∀゚*)ノ彡

Rolled the jam into balls the night before!  (゚´▽`゚) 6 grams is the recommended size but I think you can actually estimate yourself wan lah no need so approximate. However it depends on whether you like more-dough-than-jam type or more-jam-than-dough kind. Joyceet likes the first type so she kept making me break down the balls of jam I've made into two ( ̄^ ̄)  

Top picture is homemade and the bottom is store-bought (Nona brand) hahah cause I've not enough jam. What is left of two pineapples after all the squeezing is very very little. I doubt there's even 300ml (╯._.)╯ ┻━┻ (Ok I admit I sneaked a few slices of pineapples while grating but it doesn't make much difference ok!!)

*mumbles magic word*

TADAAAAAAAAH! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I had a very very very hard time with the cookie-maker it's like the hardest thing to use in the world T_T so in between I slacked and made the kind like in the picture above. Turned out really yummy! would use more parmesan cheese next time thou. ╰( ̄▽ ̄)╭

Joyce koh inserts her say: "joyseet is very proud of her bintang beer top which she got from bali. according to her, no one drinks bintang beer except those who visit bali because it tastes like plain water. but she likey. AHAHHAHA"

phew! *wipes sweat on forehead* worthed the effort and blood (serious! HAHA but don't worry guys it didn't stain) to see all of these cute, delicious fellas. Feedbacks are the dough is a tad bit too crumbly but the jam is good for a first-timer /flipflipflipflipflipshair/. Gah couldn't stop popping a few of them at once into my mouth, I looove the melt-in-the-mouth and buttery crust. However, I think I would prefer using a stiffer dough the next time cause of the crumbliness (but no more cookie-makers please T_T) And not to forget, thank you siew yok for helping out! (stare at me roll jam into balls, wrestle with cookie-maker, baking and eating HAHA) 





Ok I must go now still have a bukit-ful of homework to finish! 
goodbye! ;)
xx






No comments:

Post a Comment